top
logo

Pavilion project proposed in Malone PDF Print E-mail
Written by DENISE A. RAYMO, Staff Writer   
Saturday, March 31, 2007

MALONE — The Malone Recreation Commission hopes to raise at least $30,000 to expand an existing 750-square-foot pavilion another 1,000 square feet.
The John Kelly Pavilion, situated on the east side of Rotary Lake near the Malone Recreation Park Arena, can be reserved for use by families or other community agencies or companies who need a venue to hold a large outdoor event.
Commission member Gordon Halley told the Town Council this week that the group wants to add on to the 24-by-30-foot pavilion; affix a green, Adirondack-style roof; use textured, decorative stone on the walls; and make it look similar to the pavilion on the west side of the lake.
He said Mike Reynolds of Beardsley Design Associates donated architectural plans for the work and estimates the cost would be between $30,000 and $40,000.
Halley said $5,000 has been set aside in this year's Rec Commission budget toward the project. The membership would likely ask for the town for in-kind services, such as excavating or gravel work, tasks that could be done by the Department of Public Works, he said.
He intends to ask the village and Franklin County leaders for the same in-kind commitments.
The commission is also hoping civic organizations, businesses and service clubs, like the Rotary and Kiwanis, will adopt the project and help out financially.
The town and village jointly sponsor the Rec Commission and its activities, with the village paying 60 percent of the cost and the town chipping in the other 40 percent.
"The Rec Park serves more residents of the town than the village, and maybe we can get county help," Halley said, adding that fundraisers will also be held. "We'll raise the money and make it so it looks like a nice building on the hill."
None of the work can be done until the fall, though, because the pavilion is already booked for the events for the season.
In addition to the expansion, the Rec Commission plans to spend $10,000 to upgrade some of the playground equipment on the west side and replace the metal slides with plastic ones, because "I'm told they get very hot in the summer," Halley said.
The teeter-totters will be replaced, and colorful, rocking animals with springs imbedded in the ground will be installed.
Another project the commission wants to tackle this year is sealing the paving stones on the walkway and staining the surfaces of the playground jungle gym, which is made of pressure-treated wood.

 

bottom

Powered by Joomla!. Designed by: Free Joomla Themes, hosting. Valid XHTML and CSS.