25 YEARS AGO — 1982
Eventually something is going to happen with the deteriorating Essex County Jail. Either it's going to be renovated and expanded or a new one will be built. Either way, the price will be in the millions of dollars, and as yet there is no state or federal aid available. Clinton Aero Corp. initiates federally subsidized, essential commuter air service at Plattsburgh and Saranac Lake and will complete the takeover of the five North Country routes before the end of April. The Plattsburgh Town Board, following two public hearings, passes resolutions creating the Halsey's Corners water and sewer districts. Residents had petitioned for the creation of the districts. Six out of 10 residents in the Beekmantown Central School District believe they are getting accurate information from school officials, but would also like more information about the district. This is based on a survey mailed out last fall.
50 YEARS AGO — 1957
The State Public Service Commission orders flasher signals and electronically operated short-armed gates for the South Junction (Salmon River) crossing of the Delaware and Hudson Railroad. An Air Force major and his wife lost their lives there March 18. Rouses Point's application for a federal grant of $128,058 to assist in the construction of a new $426,860 sewage-disposal system is approved. The new $1.6 million Beekmantown Central School will be ready for occupancy by the latter part of this year or the early part of 1958. The tentative opening date for September 1957 was unable to be met due to lack of steel. A flash fire that ravaged the interior of a large warehouse and storage shed of Plattsburgh Stone Products Co. on the Beekmantown Road causes an estimated $25,000 damage. The cause was a faulty oil burner.
75 YEARS AGO — 1932
The mines at Lyon Mountain and the blast furnace at Standish, both owned by the Chateaugay Ore and Iron Co., shut down operations. Low tonnage is given as the reason. Out of work are 285 men. A government headstone is to be provided to mark the grave of Capt. James Patterson, a soldier of the War of 1812, in the Morhous family cemetery in Willsboro. This was requested by Congressman Bertrand Snell. The ferryboat Oneida, built for the Drexels, Philadelphia bankers, at an estimated cost of $1,250,000, is being remodeled at Newburgh by Capt. E.N. Goodsell of the Port Douglas ferry line. The 205-foot vessel was purchased from William Randolph Hearst. The boat will be able to accommodate 40 cars. Tupper Lake reappoints all municipal employees at salaries that have been cut 10 percent.
100 YEARS AGO — 1907
The bids for building a frame cottage on Crab Island in Lake Champlain for the use of the keeper are opened at the quartermaster's office at the Post. John J. Fitzpatrick bid $2,699 for construction and $245 for plumbing and W.G. Wilcox and Son $3,507.80 for construction with no bid for the plumbing. No contract was awarded. The ice moves just 15 feet at Chazy, smashing in its progress the old ferryboat plying between Chazy and Isle la Motte, Vt. Its owner, W.N. Sweet, is fortunate to have a new ferryboat, The Twins, just out of reach of the ice on land. After much discussion, two roads in Clinton County will be improved with state aid. One is the Plank Road between Plattsburgh and Redford. The other is from Mooers Forks southwest to the Military Turnpike and then north through Ellenburg. The new Trinity Church rectory in Plattsburgh will be of old English model, designed by Alfred Hopkins, prominent New York City architect. The rectory will be built just west of the church.— Compiled by Contributing Writer Sue Botsford, who can be reached at 834-7201 or