top
logo

Mobile home destroyed in fire PDF Print E-mail
Written by DAN HEATH, Staff Writer   
Monday, April 02, 2007

BELLMONT — A rubbish fire spread to a mobile home Sunday afternoon, leaving two homeless.
Second Assistant Fire Chief Donald King of the Burke Fire department said David Brockway's single-wide at 121 Atwood Road in the Town of Bellmont was a total loss. Brockway and his girlfriend, Danielle Stickney, lived in the home, he said.
"There was very heavy smoke upon arrival, and fire was visible underneath and inside," King said.
A neighbor reported the blaze at about 1:40 p.m., King said. Firefighters were told everybody was out of the structure when they arrived.
"At that time, it was fully involved, so we could not put people inside. They (mobile homes) go quick," he said. "We did a knockdown, surround and drown."
There were no nearby buildings to which the fire could spread, King said.
He said firefighters were at the fire for about three-and-a-half to four hours; no one was hurt in the effort. The mobile home wasn't insured, but the American Red Cross had been notified and was going to help the couple.
Brockway and Stickney told King they had a place to stay.
Burke firefighters were assisted by crews and equipment from the Chateaugay, Constable and Malone fire departments. A crew from the Chateaugay Fire Department was on standby at the Burke Fire Station.
King said about 30 firefighters and eight fire vehicles responded.
Franklin County Fire Control reported calls for about eight grass fires Sunday, and there were at least three in Clinton County — in Churubusco, AuSable Forks and one in Keeseville, which for a time threatened a structure there.
King said he doesn't understand why people are out burning rubbish and debris at this time of year.
"When it's this dry, it makes no sense," he said.

 

bottom

Powered by Joomla!. Designed by: Free Joomla Themes, hosting. Valid XHTML and CSS.